Thursday, January 23, 2014

Workplace What-the-Fuckery: Location-Nexus of CrayCray and What the Fuck

Our office should be relocating by mid-March. None-too-soon, if you ask me. 

Yesterday, as I went down to the lobby to sign for a UPS parcel, when I opened the door to the lobby, I was quite literally punched in the snot locker by the fetid stench of urine.

As I signed for the parcel, my eyes darted around to all four corners of the lobby, and I asked the UPS delivery dude, "WTF, did someone urinate out here?" He replied, "I don't know. I've been holding my breath waiting for you to come sign for this package!"

The current location of our office is in a very depressed part of town. Within a 2-4 block radius of my front door there is:
  • A men's shelter, 90% of occupants are on the county's sex offender registry 
  • Transitional housing (aka welfare hotel) for folks transitioning from shelter system to Section 8 
  • The Projects 
  • A methadon clinic 
  • Probation/Parole 
  • Family court 
  • Social services 
  • County and Federal court buildings 
  • TASC (Treatment Alternatives for Safer Communities)
So "downstairs" gets quite a bit of foot traffic, and quite a bit of that foot traffic is chock full of the cray-cray.

Oh, I neglected to mention, right outside our office is a bus stop, yanno, to make it super easy for all the derelicts to come here.

It's a very depressing area. Interestingly, you walk 2 blocks in any direction and the tone changes radically. Two blocks in one direction? Pricey condos. Two blocks in another direction? Hookers and blow (well, not really two blocks, that's further down on Lexington, but still a walkable distance). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What sayeth thou? (Mean people suck, don't fuck it up.)

"I hate people."
"People" stop being "people" when they become friends.
Friends stop being friends when they become assholes.
So to refine my hatred, I hate people and I hate assholes.